Position Title Foster Care Coordinator
Job Classification Non-Exempt
Assignment Category Full time 32 – 40 hours per week
Department Animal Care & Adoptions
Reports to Wellness Manager
Salary Range $16.50 - $20.50 / hour
Job Description Summary
The Foster Care Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the Foster Care Program which includes providing quality care for all the pets in the foster care program. The Coordinator also supports the mission of the MSRPAC and provides high-quality service and leadership to individuals who participate in the foster program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates movement of Center animals into foster care
- Monitors health and behavior of animals in foster care and reports findings to Animal Wellness Supervisor
- Carries a cell phone to allow for rapid response to foster animal emergencies
- Coordinate spay/neuter surgeries with the Animal Wellness Manager
- Schedule/manage foster animals for proper vaccine and health check-ups.
- Provide pictures and stories to the Development Department to promote the foster care program.
- Present at MSRPAC Volunteer Orientations each quarter and at the Riverside County Department of Animal Services orientations to promote the recruitment of foster care volunteers.
- Medical coverage when the Animal Wellness Manager and/or the Animal Wellness Coordinator are absent from shift.
- Assisting Animal Wellness Manager and/or Animal Wellness Coordinator with medical duties as assigned, such as, but not limited to, medications, vaccines, treatment updates, surgery paperwork, surgery transport.
- In collaboration with the Volunteer Services Department recruits foster care volunteers.
- Ensure foster volunteers have adequate food, formula, equipment, supplies etc.
- Provide orientation materials to all foster volunteers plus coordinate training sessions as needed.
- Interview, and screen foster volunteer.
- Serve as contact for all foster homes
- Responsible for development and management of all MSRPAC foster volunteers and the animals they are caring for.
- Maintain records and conduct home visits (if necessary) of foster homes in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the MSRPAC
- Responsible for reviewing and updating foster written information, training material and records.
- Maintain database of foster volunteers
- Develop monthly foster statistical information for MSRPAC records and volunteer department
Other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred, three years of management in animal welfare, previous shelter manager experience or equivalent work experience. Minimum two years of supervisory experience. Minimum two years of working with the public. Minimum requirement of a high school diploma.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills. Must be able to relate and confer with the Executive Director, managers, and associate staff in a positive and constructive way; exercises good judgment when dealing with the public and when making decisions in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Ability to make sound judgments and work independently and in a team setting in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Experience in management, human resource administration, animal behavior and shelter operations.
- Proven skills and attention to detail (effective record keeping ability).
- Ability to use sound judgment when dealing with confidential information.
- Support the mission of the MSRPAC Care and Adoption MSRPAC and be able to professionally advocate the MSRPAC’s position on issues.
- Knowledge of animal health, care and welfare and ability to work with animals.
- Strong animal handling skills.
- Knowledge of animal breeds and colors.
- Computer knowledge, experience with shelter software helpful. Basic computing skills (Microsoft Windows/Office environment).
- A “can do” team player attitude and willingness to go the extra mile.
- Ability to maintain composure in an often stressful and emotional work environment.
- Must be at least 21 years of age (required for insurance purposes); valid State Driver’s License and insurable driving record
- Able to lift 25 lbs.